My current solar set up.

     Alright, so in "Neo-hippie" I talked about my solar panel a little, but my tablet and phone don't just plug into the solar panel magically. One of the great things about the Goal0 Nomad 7 is the little power box, it has three outputs, one for a Goal0 power pack, a standard USB, and a small outlet that's 12V to use the provided car adapter. For my phone i can just use one of the many USB cords around the house. My Xoom on the other hand required a special car charger cause it charges at 12V and is to powerful for a little 5V USB. If you go to bestbuy, staples, or motorola.com they wanna charge you almost $30 bucks.

       I make almost minimum wage, no way do i wanna shell out that much, so i go to google shopper and lo and behold, Motorola Xoom car charger, for $15 on amazon, not only that but i got a "used" one for seven bucks, so a quarter of moto's price and it still had the original box.

     Anyways, After I got my Xoom squared away i wanted to work on my phones side, My nexus s get about 14 hours of battery, sometimes more or less depending on what I'm doing, but for the most part It's bugging me to connect my charger when I go to bed. Which is fine if I'm going to sleep near an outlet with a power source behind it, but I'm gonna be camping with no power at all. so here is the short term solution. i got a small portable charger that plugs directly into the phone and a small battery pack. between the two i get exactly %100 battery. (Another cool thing about my nomad is it has a pocket that is made to hold any small electronics you're charging.) So I throw my little battery pack in the pocket, plug it into the USB on the nomad and there you go, I'm now charging the battery anytime the panel is open and can simultaneously charge the battery and my phone from the sun. when I'm camping i plan on charging the battery during the day and charging my phone during the night.

Here's some pics of the battery's with my solar panel.
I use the hooks  to connect it to my bag or backpack.

Very small, about credit card size.
You can see how the smaller one plugs into the phone.

everything all set up, it still looks small,
but it's enough to feed my starving phone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NREMT AEMT

How-to, a festival.

THAT unknown medical.