Adventures in Hobbit Land!

On Instagram this weekend I posted this picture with the caption "Sometimes I wonder why I stay in Maine. Then I go for a walk in the woods." I spend countless hours in "Hobbit Land" as it's been called for generations now. It's actual name is Vaughn's woods, but it far more fun to look for the chairs and homes of Hobbits then to look for Vaughn...

Growing up my Mum always took my sister and I (and whatever friends we had with us) through what I thought until this weekend to be the only trail through Hobbit land. As my fiancee and I walked into the woods; instead of walking straight forward like I always had I looked behind us and saw another trail that I had never seen before... Of course curiosity got the best of me and I had to try this new mysterious trail...

Here is a map thanks to "my tracks"



View 4/28/2012 6:39 PM in a larger map


As you can see I didn't think to start my track until after we started walking this new trail. It was a far more difficult hike then the main trail. much steeper and muddier. After we found the little bridge and followed the trail till we got to the edge of the woods we decided to head back along the water edge instead of the trail again. I don't know if it was because we were in a valley but my GPS was a little sporadic on the way back. It was a really fun walk though.
Here are some pictures, the quality isn't very good cause they were all from my phone. they are still nice.


I don't know what flower this is. Never seen it before.

Same flower but with the leaves.

we think there was an old damn or mill down the stream. Might be Hobbits though

Very nice down by the water. doesn't smell great but hey.

View of downstream.

Closer view of the "new" bridge


I guess we can't really call it a new bridge...

Rock climbing!

It's kinda a dangerous trail at points...



Hobbit tables?

Hobbit trails for little peoples.
You must be swift as...

Thanks for looking! I hope you enjoyed! Next time you're in Hallowell and have an hour try having a walk through the woods.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NREMT AEMT

How-to, a festival.

Norepinephrine(Levophed) usage in ME EMS protocol