Do good things, It's the only way to survive.

     "It's simple really. You can't discuss politics like Syria in a university setting anymore; We have too many Middle Eastern students that think totally different from American students. We can't come to a clear, answer with all of these people thinking wrongly of us". - the genius state university students sitting at the next table.
     I don't know what hurt worse, trying to keep with the crowd and eating my soup before it was cool, or the absolute atrocious logic from this "university student". As my tongue and ears burned from their respective assaults I watched as these two people talked of the great imperfections of the world. They were both going to be great scholars and thinkers and had to think of the global issues. I slowly chewed through my sandwich and slurped my soup as I listened, painfully, as they both debated the same small sliver of reality they lived in. I looked at them and couldn't help but be grateful of my "simple" education. All I am learning to do are the little things, like saving lives,  helping people, making an honest living. It wasn't up to me to decide the fate of the world, or was it?

     I'm not a genius or an idiot. I'm just an average person. I'm just an average person who wants to do good things. When I was little I wanted to be a Power Ranger, fighting off evil with just the help of my friends, a skin tight suit, and giant robots. I want to say I am a power ranger of sorts now. Instead of a skin tight suit I run around in pants with pockets filled to the brim with stuff, a button up shirt, and black boots. My giant robot has six wheels and flashing lights and sirens. Instead of fighting giant monsters I fight microscopic ones that are attacking people from the inside. I defeat gravity when someones fallen and can't get up. I stop the bleeding, crying, vomiting, and hurting or at least get you somewhere that can. I fight to help people, my people. The people I can actually touch, help, and make a difference for.

     I finished my meal and got up. The university students were still talking about the worlds problems. Talking. Arguing. Achieving nothing. Not once had one of them offered to go and do something. I never heard them talk about Peace corp, Red Cross, Mercy Vol. Corps, or any other group to go and volunteer and help. They just talked. They just talked and hundreds of civil wars are still going on. Millions of people are hungry, homeless, and need help but they just talked.

     As I walked out of the shop, sipping my coffee I held the door open for an older couple. They smiled at me and I smiled back wishing them a happy New Year. Then, as I got in my car I realized I had just done more for my people by holding the door open for a couple I'll never know than two students had all evening. Now, for all I know those two students could have spent all day at a soup kitchen! I have no way of knowing now. What I do know is that we have to do things locally to achieve things globally.

     So for my 2014 resolutions I am going to make a point to make my small sliver of the world a little better. I'm going to take care of the people in my life to make theirs better. Because that's how good changes are made. By making my network stronger they can go out and make the people around them better. I may not change the whole world that way, but I'll change mine for the better. I'm okay with that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NREMT AEMT

How-to, a festival.

THAT unknown medical.