Medic School Discussions: Roles & Responsibilities of the paramedic

**Please comment and let me know your thoughts, if I'm wrong I want to learn why and how to be better**

Roles & Responsibilities



My three good qualities are preparation, response, and return to service. The only one I would say I’m strong in is Preparation. My thought process is that every call is critical until proven otherwise. I know this isn’t entirely true, but It’s much easier to motivate myself to check every nook and cranny of the truck and house bag if I think I’m going to work a code. I always find question to ask the medics I work with about calls I’ve done or stories I’ve heard. I read and listen to people like EMCrit to try and learn more about medicine and hope I get something I can use in my daily assessments and treatments of my patients. I feel my response is good, I’m almost always in the truck first. I drive to every call as quickly as I safely can with regard to traffic, road conditions, and weather. At the end of every call I work hard to get my truck to a better condition than it was before the call. I restock a little more than I used. I clean a little more than got dirty. I always want the truck to be in better condition when I leave then when I got there.


My weaknesses I would label as Scene management, Patient assessment and care, and Patient transfer and report. I think all of my weaknesses are experience or confidence related. I’m a lot better at helping to manage the scene, I think about how to best get to the patient and how to best and safely get them to the truck. I’m constantly looking for potential hazard in homes, especially in elderly population and with fall victims. I know I still need to work on it a lot more though. I always think of and utilize gloves as PPE but I rarely even consider the need for goggles, gowns, or mask. I believe my assessments are too disorganized, I try to figure out what is going on before I’ve established a solid baseline for my patient. That leads to the issues with Patient transfer. I don’t always have some of the information the ED wants to know because I focused my exam and assessment on what I thought the issue was from talking to the patient. Then I feel like I’ve done something in error and it throws off the rest of my report because I’m desperately trying to figure out what I missed.


My plan to resolve my weak areas should be mostly resolved as I move through this course. As I learn more about scene management from the medics prospective I’ll be able to assist better as a BLS provider and know what information is pertinent to tell my partner when I’m a medic. I fully plan on utilizing everything I learn, as I learn it to my nightly work. As for my patient assessment I will have an excellent opportunity to learn and refine my technique into an orderly, concise, and accurate assessment with this class and paramedic procedures I. As I strengthen my assessment abilities I will be able to confidently give a quality, concise report to any ER nurse because I will have done a broad spectrum assessment and a focus exam of the issues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NREMT AEMT

THAT unknown medical.

Norepinephrine(Levophed) usage in ME EMS protocol