Done is better than perfect

Does it make sense to write a blog post about every video I make? No. Why wouldn't I just put it in the video? Well, I'm learning. I'm always learning. One of the first quotes I can think of came from a high school writing class. Bethany was teaching it and she always told us to write a shitty first draft. I have always had difficulty with this. More often than not I will choose to walk away from a project that seems "bigger then I can handle" because I don't want to look stupid. Now the jokes on me, I regularly look stupid (it's mostly my hair)... That isn't the point.
Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor, the enemy of the people. It will keep you cramped and insane your whole life, and it is the main obstacle between you and a shitty first draft. -Anne Lamott
 Even this silly Tide PODS video. I was almost done and I shut down the program because it wasn't good enough. My ridiculous acting was excessively ridiculous. The lighting was wrong. The video quality wasn't perfect. I almost walked away. Then today I watched a video by Peter McKinnon. He showed how bad his old stuff was. He wasn't born a fantastic photographer and cinematographer! He's been making videos and shooting photos for over a decade... Nothing should make me think that I will be anywhere near as skilled or make content as good as he does. At the end of the say, Jake says it best.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.” ― Jake the Dog
My videos and photos are not "good" yet, but that doesn't mean they won't be. I'm a paramedic. I'm not a YouTuber. I don't need to make money on YouTube. I mean, I probably shouldn't make money on YouTube. I need to make content because I love doing it. Not hoping for a paycheck I'll never see.

Anyways, watch these two videos and appreciate that it's the mistakes we make that we learn from. It's the combination of a million lessons learned from a million mistakes that make real change.





And if you appreciate all that... Here's my video! It's my video!.. That's all I have going for me... Everyone has to start somewhere....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NREMT AEMT

How-to, a festival.

Norepinephrine(Levophed) usage in ME EMS protocol